Senior Database Administrator (Bryanston/Umhlanga)
We want you:
A position exists for a Senior Database Administrator at South Africa’s leading betting brand. We are looking for a motivated, energetic, curious, very competent person, who has a solid technical base. A technical expert to lead a team of database administrators whose main objective is to maintain and improve BET Software’s MS SQL database offering.
Our successful All-Star will administer and secure organizational databases, ensuring overall system health. We are looking for someone with advanced SQL skills and the ability to coach and guide junior DBAs. Your decision-making, problem-solving and proactive attitude must be reinforced by effective collaboration with our internal and external teams.
- 5-7 years of experience in a commercial environment using a high transaction database.
- 5+ years of experience in MSSQL – all aspects
- Advanced SQL skills and query writing skills
- Advanced SQL troubleshooting skills.
- Experience in MSSQL database design/optimization.
- Proven track record in mentoring other DBAs
What you will do:
- Ensure that the database design is robust, scalable, and performs optimally.
- Work with other DBAs to ensure solutions meet application requirements and performance goals.
- Actively contribute to planning meetings, documentation and testing.
- Determine, drive and document database policies, procedures and standards within the team.
- Define and maintain database standards.
- Ensure high availability of the database as it has a publicly accessible web front end.
- Minimize database downtime and manage parameters to provide fast responses to queries.
- Perform regular testing and assessments to ensure data security, privacy, and integrity.
- Develop processes to optimize database security.
- Install and maintain the performance of database servers.
- Optimized database system performance.
- Install, upgrade, and manage database applications.
- Create an automation for repeated database tasks.
- Be available for on-call support as needed.
- Monitor database performance, implement changes, and apply new patches and releases as needed.
- Use tools and scripts to monitor all aspects of database performance, including underlying compute, storage, and networking.
- Drive the adoption of processes within the team that consider and meet expectations for throughput rates and technical responses; processing time; efficient use of resources during operation and where the system or solution ensures that maximum operational capacity requirements are met.
- Good understanding of big data manipulation methodology.
- Use high-speed transaction recovery techniques and backup data.
- Diagnose and resolve database errors.
- Create and manage database reports, visualizations, and dashboards.
- Recommend and implement emerging database technologies.
- Implement improved processes that positively impact team performance and business results.
- Actively participate in problem resolution and, if necessary, work after hours to ensure issues are resolved.
- Uses foresight to avoid errors or delays in projects.
- Demonstrate initiative in understanding, acquiring and implementing new knowledge and skills both within a team and within the group at large.
- Integrates new capabilities into daily operational activities to improve product and system performance.
- Ensure that the techniques, technologies, tools and processes used comply with industry best practices.
- Identify team members requiring specific knowledge, skills, or understanding and look for ways to impart or improve team member skills through coaching and mentoring.
- Verify that the knowledge was successfully transferred and if not, take steps to correct the knowledge transfer gaps.
- Provide technical guidance to the team through collaboration sessions and knowledge sharing initiatives.
- Performance optimization
- MS SQL server
Desired level of qualification:
About the employer:
The company we keep:
At BET Software, we don’t just recruit talent, we nurture it. Our learning and development programs, diverse growth opportunities, and well-deserved incentives are what make our All-Star team the best among the rest.
Employer and Benefits:
- 13th check
- Provident funds
- Performance Bonuses
Find out more/Apply to this position