PRINCIPAL DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR – Gauteng Johannesburg North
OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION:
Design, maintain, secure and troubleshoot databases and database servers.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
Maintenance and support:
– Database administration, maintenance, backups, restores, performance tuning, security, and troubleshooting are key performance areas.
– Provide proactive performance monitoring and capacity planning for future database and server growth projections.
– Perform database installations, configurations, upgrades and migrations according to SQL best practices.
– Participate in company projects and perform project management duties to ensure all requirements are delivered on time and to specifications.
– Develop and maintain database documentation.
High availability and disaster recovery:
– Develop, maintain, execute and test database backup and recovery strategies and procedures.
– Oversee the tasks of other DBAs on the team and report daily on the health of the database to the environment.
– Research and evaluate new database trends and technologies and provide best practices and recommendations.
– Work with other teams or third-party service providers on ICT projects.
– Design and implement databases according to business information needs and requirements.
Define users and groups and enable data distribution to the right user.
Development / Maintenance:
– Familiarity with API programming languages
– Working knowledge of understanding T-SQL and SSIS/ETL.
– Support internal and external systems and processes with other IT support teams.
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
– Minimum 5 years of experience in database administration
– Relevant qualification in ICT (NQF level 7) or equivalent qualification
– Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MSITP) or Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate
(MCSA) in the Microsoft SQL Server domain is required.
or MSSQL [Phone Number Removed]; Windows 2016 – 2022
– ITIL/COBIT Foundation Certification
– Mastery of PowerShell
– Power BI experience
– Working knowledge of high availability data solutions (e.g. AlwaysOn) and ability to deploy, maintain and support them.
– A working knowledge of disaster recovery processes, recoveries and restores is required.
– Experience in selecting the most optimal Microsoft SQL license structure.
– Experience in designing SQL databases
– Experience in SQL migration
– Experience in APIs of Microsoft programming languages
– Microsoft Cloud Database certifications, for example Microsoft Certified: Azure Database Administrator Associate
– Customer Service – Knows the business of the customer and/or seeks information on the real underlying needs of the customer beyond those initially expressed
– Flexibility – Decides how to do something depending on the situation
– Impact and Influence – Adapts a presentation or discussion to attract the interest or level of others
– Organizational Commitment – Acting to support the mission and goals of the organization
– Commitment to professional learning – Keeps abreast of international trends that will impact area of expertise
– Teamwork – Publicly acknowledges others who have performed well
– Analytical thinking – Identifies several elements of a problem and breaks down each of these elements in detail, showing the causal relationships between them
– Achievement orientation – Sets and works to achieve challenging goals
– Initiative – Demonstrates the ability to proactively anticipate and manage all variables involved, to ensure that critical opportunities for the center are not missed
Will be required to work long hours if necessary.
- Power BI
- SQL migration
Find out more/Apply to this position